Myofascia, pronounced “my o faashaa”, is the dense tough tissue that surrounds and covers all your muscles and bones. In a healthy body Myofascia helps to maintain good posture, range of motion and flexibility. It also gives our bodies tremendous strength and helps us deal with excessive stress and injuries. When Myofascia is damaged or traumatized it can become too tight and cause a number of problems such as:
- Muscle pain and spasms
- Chronic back and neck pain
- Recurring injuries Sciatica
- Breathing difficulties
- Sensations such as numbness and pins and needles
- Poor posture and reduced flexibility
The purpose of Myofascial Release is to break down scar tissue, relax the muscle and myofascia and restore good posture. The techniques of Myofascial Release therapy help to re-organize and lengthen the tight tissue allowing for better movement and health to the tissue. Treatments can last from 15 minutes to an hour.
- Reduced Stress and Tension
- Enhanced immune system
- Prevention of Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Promotes relaxation by slow deep massage
- Increase or decrease muscle length
- Raise awareness about stress management and posture correction
What to expect
You will have a brief initial consultation, which involves giving any relevant medical history, and what you would like from the treatment. Oils or creams are normally used so please wear suitable, loose comfortable clothing. Massage often releases toxins from the tissue, so drink plenty of water after the treatment.
It also releases good endorphins, and can make you feel very relaxed. Ideally, if you can plan your treatment so that you are not too busy afterwards, you will benefit from the positive effects.